If you know me, you know I’m a planner. I may not always be organized, but I like lists, plans and goal settings. For people like me, it’s
sometimes so incredibly difficult to let go of our plans. Earlier this summer, I made my list of how this was going to be the best summer I’ve had in a long time. 16 things I was going to do. This summer ended up completely different than I planned. I was going to just ignore it. Pretend that post never even happened. Maybe even delete it and sneak a boring post in that no one would notice and that I’d hopefully forget was a replacement. However, reality is a thing, and hiding from it doesn’t change the truth.
Go to fireworks for 4th of July.I had plans to, and then the thunderstorms came about. I did, however, see nice fireworks the days before and after from my window.
- Tie-dye. There’s still hope for this one. Summer isn’t over yet.
- Do something I’ve never done. About 3 weeks ago, I got into my first car accident. No way around this one. It sucked. Not what I had in mind when I added this to the list.
Go to the beach.It didn’t happen. Mostly due to #3. 2018 is the summer of the beach. Go to Knoebels.Again- no car = no day trips. Go to an epic concert. This is my moment of self pity. My car accident was ON THE WAY TO MY EPIC CONCERT. I had VIP tickets to see my favorite band(The Rocket Summer)’s 10 year anniversary tour of my favorite album in Philly.
- See a movie at the drive in. Here’s one I can feel a bit better about. We went to Christmas in July at the drive in. Neither movie was as good as I remembered/anticipated, but I had fun with the people there.
- Go kayaking. I actually got to go for my birthday! It was an awesome time and we got done right before the thunderstorms!
- Have as many bonfires (And by “bonfires” I mean excuse for s’mores) as possible. As many as possible = one apparently. Woops.
- Go to a professional baseball game. We did, in fact, go to the Phillies vs Brewers game. It was delayed due to crazy storms, and they ended up losing, but it was a good game for awhile.
Get another tattoo. #TooBrokeForTattoos Get a tan.Who am I kidding. I got crazy burnt kayaking on my birthday and have been pale since that went away.
- Swim as much as possible. I went an average of once a week. I’m content with that.
- Go to the local carnival/fair. I missed 1 of the 2 fairs. We’ll see if I make it to the other.
Hike to the top of the trail at camp.What influence was I under when I added this to the list? Take more photos. I actually took less photos. I didn’t think that was even possible.
So, this has become the summer of learning. I’m learning to let go of my plans. I’m learning that not meeting goals is okay. It’s not the end of the world(But for the record, if Bryce Avary ever finds this, I AM DEVASTATED ABOUT MISSING YOUR PHILLY SHOW. Come back soon, please! ) We put so much pressure on ourselves, our time, and what we do with our lives. High expectations can be helpful, but they can also do a lot of damage when we don’t measure up. I don’t know about you, but I’ve wasted a lot of time feeling like I don’t measure up. It just isn’t worth it. So, from one perfectionist with unrealistic expectations to another, GIVE YOURSELF A BREAK.